Select from one of the options below to view more about the benefits of becoming an appointed agent with Appalachian Underwriters, Inc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have questions about Appalachian Underwriters, Inc., our services, products, and/or what it means to be appointed? Below is a list of our most frequently asked questions. If you don't find the answer to your particular questions feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: What is a wholesale broker?
A: A wholesale insurance broker acts as an intermediary between a retail broker and an insurer, while having no contact with the insured. Wholesale brokers place business brought to them by retail agents.
Wholesale brokers often possess specialized expertise in a particular line of coverage or in a line of coverage that is unusual and/or have greater access to or influence with certain insurance markets, which is especially valuable when dealing with a difficult to place risk.
Q: What is a Managing General Agency (MGA)?
A: A Managing General Agent is generally defined as an individual or business entity appointed by one or several insurance companies to solicit business from agents. The MGA will negotiate insurance contracts on behalf of an insurer and has binding authority.
Q: How does my agency become appointed with Appalachian Underwriters, Inc.?
- Complete all Agency Agreement forms found at http://www.appund.com/Documents/AppointmentApplication.pdf
- Return by email to email@example.com or by fax to 866-422-9637 with the following supporting documents
- Copy of Current E&O Dec Page
- Completed Pre-Authorization Deposit Form and a Copy of a Voided Check
- Completed Agency Application Form
- Signed & Dated Contract Page
- Signed & Completed W-9 form
- Copy of Resident & Non-Resident Agency Licenses
- Copy of Resident & Non-Resident Agent(s) Licenses
- Copy of Surplus Lines Resident & Non Resident Agent(s)/Broker(s) License(s) (if applicable)
- Submit Payment for Membership Fee.
Q: What are the different ways I can get a quote?
A: Appalachian Underwriters, Inc. offers a multitude of ways to get a quote: Online through our raters at www.auiagents.com, via phone, via fax, or via email. All methods are accepted. We want to make the submission process as easy as possible. Larger accounts requiring contact with a broker can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: How will I learn how to access Appalachian Underwriters, Inc.?
A: You can register for live webinars at www.appund.com/Training or access training videos at any time for step-by-step instructions. You can also contact our Marketing Department at 888-376-9633, ext. 2008 to ask for help between 8am EST and 6pm EST, Monday through Friday.
Q: Will I be assigned a Marketing Representative?
A: Yes, a Marketing Representative will be assigned to you based on your location. You can see our Regional Marketing Map at http://www.appund.com/ProspectiveAgents.
Q: How do I submit a claim?
A: You can find claim information on the policy. You can also contact our customer service department at 888-376-9633 and they will direct you.
Q: How do I request loss runs?
A: Loss runs can be requested at http://www.appund.com/AgentServices/LossRuns.
Q: How do I obtain Certificates of Insurance on my policies?
A: Certificates are available once a policy is bound and payment is received. Upon binding, agents can go to the carrier website and print the COIs directly.
Q: Do you offer premium financing?
A: We have a program called PIPCO that is now offered on Commercial Specialty, Personal Lines and Brokerage policies. To qualify for premium financing, total premium of the policy must exceed $1000. Any premium less than $1000 must be paid in full. Outside premium finance sources are accepted.
Q: Do I have binding authority?
Q: Do you BOR (Broker of Record) policies?
A: Yes. BORs should be submitted 30 days prior to the renewal date. If within 30 days, contact your Marketing Representative.
Q: Can I roll a book of business from a carrier or another MGA?
A: Yes. Here are the steps:
- Email or mail your request on your agency’s letterhead, listing; the carrier, the reason for the roll, the loss ratio, the name of the MGA (if applicable), the type of business in the book, total premium, along with a list of insureds and policy numbers.
- Once the information is received and has been approved by Appalachian Underwriters, we will then contact the carrier for approval and the book of business will be moved to Appalachian Underwriters on your behalf.
Q: How long does it take for my membership to be activated?
A: Within 24 hours after all membership requirements have been received.
Q: Do you offer E&O for Insurance Agents?
A: Yes, contact our Commercial Specialty department at 888-376-9633, ext. 2200 OR contact our Brokerage Department for E&O for Commercial Insurance Agencies at 866-984-3251 ext 8481.
Q: How do I find my carrier’s best rating?
A: You can ask your carrier or look it up at www.ambest.com.
Q: What are your premium volume requirements?
A: We have no premium volume requirements.